Thursday, December 13, 2012

Medjugorje Visit helps Martin to return to God

"How I became a believer."- Martin tells his faith story.

Martin did not come to faith, but rather faith came to him. Born into a religious family he had thus started to rebel from the age of twelve. "I had got a lot of problems at this time, had a different way of life. I had become a bit of a rebel," says the 26-year-old. "The teachers wanted to fire me several times from school; I had problems with my parents. No, I did not really care. At 16 I then fell into a coma for several hours after I had drunk too much alcohol.

Then I came for the first time on the question of what exactly is the meaning of life? I knew I could not go on as I was, but I was aimless. I got the offer in the summer of 2002 to participate in a youth pilgrimage to Medjugorje. My mother paid for the trip for me. At first it was very difficult for me. I was on a bus with 30 people I did not know and they were just all so 'Christian' ... who were praying ... I remember that I got out at every rest stop and smoked two or three cigarettes. But I noticed that these people had something that I did not have. They had a joy, a purpose in life and presence. It is difficult to put into words, I'm not anybodys fool, never had a vision or a miracle, but somehow I felt deep in my heart, there was more to life and that I would have to stay tuned. I decided that summer that I would walk a path with God and that I wanted to be a good person. I have learned painfully that I was a selfish, a cold man. I have much to regret. For the last ten years, I have been on the road to God. Martin has found that again and again that he needs to renew his faith. (Source:erzdioezese-wien)

No comments: